A Baroque jewel is the Cappella del Rosario with the painting of the Madonna del Rosario (Mother Church) It is a real “explosion” of typical elements of the Baroque, with mixed marbles, stuccos and anything else that goes well with period style.
In 1649 the Naso city commissioned to the marble-maker Bartolomeo Travaglia to decorate the chapel, to be made “of the same shape and colors as the chapel of the Madonna del Rosario in the convent of Santa Cita in Palermo”.
The sumptuous decoration, a “mix, tramischio and rabisco” represents one of the most important masterpieces of seventeenth-century Sicilian sculpture.
The side walls are marked by refined pilasters adorned with candelabra of “mischio”, resting on a plinth animated by large relief shelves and holding an elaborate entablature.
Each of the walls has five mirrors, which house:
– a panel in salesman with a pot of flowers
– three niches with statues of saints
– and a panel with an elegant candlestick
A large wreaths of fruit and scraped relief frames surround the side and central niches, while large birds and lively cherubs give the whole marble coating a sense of animation and liveliness worthy of the best serpottine tradition.
The aedicule contains the rectangular frame hosting the late Mannerist painting (1580-1581) of the Madonna del Rosario.
While the altar has an elegant marble frontal, on which two graceful cherubs support the table on either side.
Stylish ambience for a quality accommodation
Spend your days of pure relaxation in an elegant and exclusive environment. Take advantage of our b&b proposals or exclusive apartments or rent boat or the innovative social boat